We all spend for many appliances for our homes. Most of the time, we buy the appliances that will make our lives a lot more convenient. After all, that is the point of purchasing these items – to make it easier for us to do house chores so we can spend more time on work and family. If you have a car and you get it washed through manual car washers, then you’ve probably seen pressure washers in the past. You can now buy this for your own home, but before you do, let me educate you on why and how to make the best purchase.
Basically, a pressure washer (or sometimes referred to as power washers) are high-pressure mechanical sprayers that is able to remove more than just dirt. It can also remove dry mud, dry loose paint. It is used to clean big items such as cars, boats and even concrete walls. It is designed to pump litres of water per minute. Can you imagine how strong that is? Apparently, it’s very strong, strong enough to rid your property of unnecessary particles.
Reasons Why You Need a Pressure Washer
You get your car washed, say, about once a week. If this is the case, then you often come across pressure washers. But did you know that it’s more practical to buy your own? Here are reasons on why you need one and what you should use them for.
- Nasty Kitchen Stains – if you love to cook, like me and my own family, you’d probably have a lot of stains in your kitchen. Our family has a Sunday tradition of cooking BBQ and we bought a really nice grill but overusing it has made it so full of stain. We usually have a hard time cleaning it until we discovered that the usual 1 hour scrubbing could be lessened to a 10 minute fast-clean with a pressure washer. The same is true with the oil stains you gather beside the cooking area. Now, all we need to do is to clear up the place, turn up the pressure washer, and our kitchen becomes squeaky clean!
- White Areas that You Want to Remain White – when I got my home built, I wanted it to look contemporary that’s why I insisted on having white walls. I didn’t realize that the sun and rain would make it look so dirty so easily. Good thing I’ve got the best pressure washer to help me out.
- Front Landscape – we spend thousands of dollars in building our front landscapes only to find them dirty and difficult to maintain (which translates to more expenses, by the way). Well, no one could really blame homeowners. Besides the busy lifestyle, there are lots of elements in the weather that we can’t control as well. One of the most awful challenges is getting mold out of landscape pavements. And guess what, a pressure washer can take care of that in a jiffy!
- Gutters – your gutter system is often unattended but did you know that it’s imperative that you give them a squeaky clean from time to time. You think they can’t do any damage until you see that water and dirt would start to penetrate your walls. It’s important that your gutters are completely clean so that it works properly.
- Vehicles – this includes anything that gets you around. Aside from cleaning your minivan, a lot of people also find it helpful to clean their bikes with it. My friend who trail bikes every weekend uses a pressure washer to get rid of mud on his wheels.
- Mower Deck – if you mow a lot of grass from time to time, then you definitely need the best pressure washer to ensure that grass do not accumulate on the sides of the deck. Those can be very stubborn and hard to remove.
And believe it or not, those are just a few! If you have your own pressure washer, you’ll surely find more use for this appliance!
Benefits of Having Your Own Pressure Washer
- Easy Cleaning – house chores takes a lot of our time. And not to mention, our energy. Having your own pressure washer will aid in cleaning, BIG TIME! When you use the best pressure washer that you can find, you will realize that there will be no need to scrub so much because the pressure washer can take care of removing tough dirt and stains. Plus, the cleaning time is lessened to more than 200% because of the strength of the water.
- Less Expenses – let me give you a concrete example to explain this one better. When you use a pressure washer as opposed to a hose, it consume more water per minute but since the cleaning time is lessened to more than 200%, then it practically means that you will be using less water. You don’t need to keep on going back to the same area. Another way of how you can save money from having your own pressure washer is because you don’t need to get your appliances and vehicles cleaned anymore. You can just do them by yourself.
- Adjustable Settings – at this point you may think that the pressure washer may be too strong for you. Don’t worry, because later on you’ll learn that the best pressure washers have adjustable settings. You can tone it down to a lower pressure when cleaning more delicate areas at home like your garden or lawn.
- Rejuvenates Surfaces – some people are very sensitive when it comes to their surfaces especially if it’s made with expenses materials. A pressure washer will make your surfaces like new every single time you clean it.
Types of Pressure Washers
Electric Pressure Washer (1300 to 2000 PSI) – an electrical pressure washer is the most quiet kind. I don’t know if that’s a factor you consider but it pays to know that it doesn’t give off excessive noise. In my experience, excessive noise can be a bit irritating. Since it is electric, it is easier to turn on. You can literally start cleaning with one press of a button.Since Electric Pressure Washers are not powered by fuel, it’s a lot easier to carry them around. You can clean faster because you can maneuver the product without any difficulty. Maintenance won’t require you regular tune ups unlike those pressure washers powered by fuel. The parts are easy to store.
These electric pressure washers are very popular and in today’s market, there are already high end and low end ones. The low end washers (more compatible for home use and light usage) can produce up to 1800 PSI. High end washers, on the other hand, can produce up to 2500 PSI. To give you a better understanding, 2000 PSI is about 30 times the pressure of the regular garden hose.
This kind of pressure washer is best for you if you plan to use it for commercial or heavy usage. It’s great for car and appliance washing and will benefit you because it asks as a detergent tank as well.
Gas Pressure Washer
There are many kinds of gas pressure washers. There are those that can pump up to 4 gallons per minute while there are those that can pump 2 gallons per minute only. Just like electric pressure washers, a lot of gas washer manufacturers already provided different spray tips dedicated to various uses.
The gas engine is great if you want to clean decks, patios or the landscape of your home. You can also use it for paint stripping and surface preparation when you need to repaint or re-cement a surface. The local government uses gas pressure washers for graffiti removal.
Tips and Tricks to Buy a Good Pressure Washer
What are you going to use it for? Before you can decide what to buy, you need to know what you are going to use it for first. Assess your cleaning duties from light, medium and heavy. Light cleaning would require somewhere from 1200 to 1900 PSI. Medium cleaning would require 1950 to 2600 PSI. Heavy cleaning would require 2650 to 3800 PSI.
The battle between electric and gas pressure washers. Take into account which is best for you. Both pressure washers have their benefits. Some prefer electric because gas is expensive and hard to accumulate. However, electric would restrict your movements so some choose gas pressure washers so they can really go around and clean stuff. Weigh your options regarding this one and if you are unsure, ask for assistance.
Look at the spray nozzles. Different spray nozzles have different cleaning duties. You have to know what you will clean so that you can have an idea of what nozzles you need. Usually, when you buy a pressure washer, it would also include a set of different tips. The more tips, the better. Also, it’s best that you choose a pressure washer brand that sells tips separately so that you can buy replacements or you can add more when needed.
Look at the accessories. Each pressure washer has accessories included. Of course, the more useful accessories, the better. For example, if your gutter accumulates dirt from time to time, then you will need a broom attachment so you can clean hard to reach surfaces. That’s just an example, there are many other accessories that different manufacturers offers.
Consider the weight. You might get overwhelmed of the fact that some pressure washer will need the aid of 2 hands to operate, sometimes even more than two hands. Thus, it is important that if it’s not for heavy use, just purchase a pressure washer that you can operate easily so you won’t experience troubles and difficulties whenever you use it for cleaning.
The cleaning solution injection system. For users who will be cleaning stubborn stains, then you will need a cleaning solution injection system so you can mix detergent or similar kinds of cleaning agents.
Consider maintenance requirements. Gas pressure washers require more maintenance and you need to ensure that you stick to the maintenance schedule so that you don’t experience gas related accidents. Electric models are not as powerful as gas pressure washers but they require less maintenance and is going to take a lot off your plate.
Ask for warranty coverage. Even the most expensive pressure washer does not have a long life span. If you know how to take care of your model, you’d be lucky if yours would last to a few years. The best warranty you would get would be a one year warranty. Gas pressure washers usually have 3 years coverage. Be very keen with what is included in the warranty terms and conditions so that you know that you won’t need to pay for so much on repairs.
Overall, you need to consider facts such as price, durability, usage, accessories, weight and warranty. Some features are added as well. Make sure that you know everything about those features. If there’s something that you do not understand, it’s perfectly fine to ask the person assisting you.
And there you go! That’s a very comprehensive crash course on pressure washers. By this time, you should be already deciding on what kind you should buy – the one that is most compatible for your needs. In today’s demand for our time and energy, we simply don’t have time to clean everything we need to! The answer to this problem is simple – purchase the best pressure washer today